Office: Bldg. 47-22H
Ph.D University of Washington, 2001
M.A. University of Washington, 1996
B.A. University of Oklahoma, 1994
Teaching and Research Interests
19th and 20th-Century British Literature
Great Books III
LGBT Literature and Film
- “Queer Nostalgia in Mad Men" (Queer Studies in Media & Popular Culture, June 2017)
- "Historicizing the Politics of Representation in Contemporary Queer Media" (Teaching Media Quarterly, Spring 2015) http://pubs.lib.umn.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1018&context=tmq
- "Encouraging Reader Identification with LGBT Literary Characters Through Role-play." In Activities for Teaching Gender and Sexuality in the University Classroom, edited by Michael Murphy and Beth Ribarsky (Rowman and Littlefield Education) 2013
- "Gentlemanly Guilt and Masochistic Fantasy in Great Expectations" (Dickens Studies Annual, Issue 34, Summer 2004).
- "Some Thoughts on Precious: Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire." (Moebius 2010). http://digitalcommons.calpoly.edu/moebius/vol8/iss1/35/
- Review of Thomas Carlyle Resartus: Reappraising Carlyle's Contribution to the Philosophy of History, Political Theory, and Cultural Criticism (Romanticism and Victorianism on the Net, Issue 59-60, Fall 2011) https://www.erudit.org/en/journals/ravon/2011-n59-60-ravon0382/1013290ar/
- Review of Richard Dellamora’s Friendship’s Bonds: Democracy and the Novel in Victorian England. (Nineteenth- Century Gender Studies, Fall 2006). http://ncgsjournal.com/issue23/hennessee.htm
- Review of John Ulrich’s Signs of Their Times: History, Labor and the Body in Cobbett, Carlyle, and Disraeli (Nineteenth-Century Contexts (Volume 27, Number 1, March 2005).
- Review of Stephanie Coontz's Marriage, a History: From Obedience to Intimacy or How Love Conquered Marriage. (Moebius 2006). http://digitalcommons.calpoly.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1157&context=moebius
- "Bricolage and Families of Choice in The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt." Film and History conference, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, November 2017.
- "Closet Cases and Gay Best Friends: the Queer Detours of Mad Men." Film and History conference, Madison, Wisconsin, November 2015.
- "Homophobic Microaggressions in 30 Rock." Film and History conference, Madison, Wisconsin, October 2014.
- "Asexual Austen" National Women's Studies Association Conference. Cincinnati, November 2013.
- "With faith that comes of self-control': Tennyson's Spiritual Self-Help." Group for Early Modern Cultural Studies, Chicago, February 2007.
- "Teaching the 19th Century to 21st-Century General Education Students." College English Association, San Antonio, April 2006.
- "'Sorrow is the ultimate type in both life and Art': Masochistic Aestheticism in Wilde's De Profundis," Northeast Modern Language Association, Pittsburgh, March 2004.
- "Trans/en-gendering the Rock Musical: Hedwig and the Angry Inch." Mid-Atlantic Popular American Culture Association, Pittsburgh, November 2002.
- "Carlyle's Hero-Worship and the Public Schools." Victorian Interdisciplinary Studies Association of the Western United States, Boise State University, October 2002.
Awards and Honors
- Heilman Dissertation Award, 2001 (outstanding dissertation, University of Washington Department of English).
- Graduation with Special Honors (4.0 GPA), University of Oklahoma, 1994.