Dr. Deb Donig
English Major Advisor
MA: UMass Amherst, UCLA
Teaching and Research Interests
Comparative genocide studies
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
The Ethical Technology Project @ Cal Poly
*Professor Donig currently co-leads the Ethical Technology Project at Cal Poly. Visit it HERE, and learn more about the “Technically Human” HERE.”
“Hunters,” Amazon Prime, produced by Jordan Peele and Amazon Studios. (February 2020)
“Global Warning: Zong! and the Culture of Comparative Suffering” Journal of Jewish Identities: Special Edition on Jewish Postcoloniality, (forthcoming)
“Seeing Double in Indra Sinha’s Animal’s People: Local Toxins, Global Toxicity, and the Universal Bhopal” Journal of Postcolonial Writing, January 2017.
“Factuality on Trial: Kurt Vonnegut Jr.’s Mother Night, the Eichmann Trope, and Hannah Arendt’s Authenticity Error” Textual Practice, December 2017.
“The Ashbery Trail,” Electric Literature, September 2017.
“Sammy Sosa,” The Dictionary of Caribbean and Afro-Latin American Biography. Ed. Henry Louis Gates, Jr., and Franklin Knight. Oxford University Press, 2015.
“The Loss of Voice and the Voice of Loss: Memory, Reconstruction, and Reconciliation in South African Literature.” in Trauma, Resistance, and Reconstruction in Post-1994 South African Writing. Ed. Jaspal K. Singh and Rajendra Chetty. New York: Peter Lang Publishing, 2010. p104-120.
Fellowships, Awards, and Honors
• Berger Endowed Inaugural Fellowship in Holocaust Studies, 2016-2017
• Skirball Fellowship Award, 2016-2017
• Dissertation Year Fellowship Award, 2016-2017
• Bluma Appel Research Travel Grant, 2016
• Summer Stipend Award, Department of English, 2016
• Edward Bouchet Honor Society, Leadership and Diversity in Education, invited 2016
• Dissertation Research Fellowship, UCLA Department of English, 2015-2016
• Irving and Jean Stone Endowed Fellowship Award, 2015-2016
• Roter Research Grant, 2015
• Grace M. Hunt Archival Research Grant, 2015
• Collegium of University Teaching Fellows, Department Award Nominee, 2015
• Chair’s Committee on Graduate Funding, 2013
• Graduate Research Mentorship, with Dr. Jenny Sharpe, 2013-2014
• Roter Travel Grant, 2012
• Graduate Summer Research Mentorship, with Dr. Elizabeth DeLoughrey, 2012
• Kempner Foundation Fellowship, for Holocaust pedagogy, 2009
• Horst Frenz Prize, American Comparative Literature Association, honorable mention, 2009
• Leo Baeck Fellowship Award, Humboldt University in Berlin, 2009
• Yad Vashem Holocaust Museum Research Fellowship, for Holocaust Research in Israel, 2008
• Recognition of Excellence in Leadership and Service, American