Change of Major


  • Satisfy ELM requirement.
  • Write a one-page, convincing rationale for entering the major.
  • Meet with assistant chair to complete an Individualized Change of Major Agreement (ICMA).

ICMA Requirements:

  • Achieve an overall GPA at Cal Poly of 2.5 or higher or two consecutive term GPA's of 2.7 with at least 12 units per quarter.
  • Take at least three English classes at Cal Poly, two of which are literature classes.
  • Achieve an average GPA of 3.6 or higher in all English classes taken at Cal Poly.
  • Satisfy the Entry Level Math requirement.
  • Meet with the Assistant Chair of English before submitting the application.

Transfer students need to be aware that once they become English majors they must pass a sophomore-level foreign language class in order to graduate.

To transfer, contact the Assistant Chair of the English department as your first step. Applications may be completed at any time throughout the quarter. The Assistant Chair of English will review applications at the end of each quarter, once grades have been submitted.

If the student meets all the requirements of the ICMA, the change of major will be approved.

The above policy also applies to students wishing to add the English major as a second major.

Students who enter into an Individualized Change of Major Agreement (ICMA) with the department and are not accepted into the English major within two quarters will not be eligible to reapply to the major. In this event, students are advised to consider pursuing an English minor.

Department Contact: Brad Campbell, Associate Chair, 805-756-5757

Related Content