Byzantium - Submit Your Work Here
Byzantium is the Cal Poly English department's award-winning annual literary journal produced entirely by undergraduate students.
What to Submit
We encourage you to send your best fiction and poetry for consideration. All Cal Poly students, regardless of major, are encouraged to submit; past issues have included students from each of the colleges at Cal Poly! All work selected for the journal will also be considered in Byzantium’s annual prizes.
This year, Byzantium will have two submission windows, one in the fall quarter and one in the winter quarter, to allow ample time for Cal Poly students to submit their work for consideration.
· The fall submission window will open on November 9th and will close at midnight on November 23rd.
· The winter submission window will open on January 18th and will close at midnight on January 31st.
How to Submit
1. Read carefully through the submission guidelines below.
2. Complete the online submission form.
3. Submit a separate online form for each genre submission (all poetry should be in one file).
- FICTION: one story totaling no more than 25 pages*
- POETRY: up to three poems totaling no more than 10 pages*
*A "page" means a standard 8.5x11 page in portrait orientation, with 1" margins and no use of multiple columns, set in Times New Roman (or comparable typeface) with 12-point font.
- Fiction submissions should be double-spaced
- All work must be submitted in .doc/.docx format.
- Name your document by the title of your piece(s). (Ex: "Title A, Title B"; NOT "Byzantium Submissions")
- Authors should not have their names present anywhere on their work (including the file name). Names should be shared only in the designated portion of the submission form below.
- Authors whose work has been accepted from the fall submission window may not submit work of the same category into the winter submission window.