M.A. English – About
Welcome to the M.A. English program!
Cal Poly’s M.A. program offers an advanced course of study in British and American literature, literary theory, composition theory, and linguistics that prepares students to succeed in teaching, editing, writing, and further graduate studies. The program also provides a robust curriculum for teachers and students pursuing careers in secondary education.
Please feel free to contact me, to learn more about our program, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 805-756-2238.
Holly Tang-Quan, M.A. English Student
“One of the best things about this program is the guidance and one-on-one support from the professors. Each professor cares and they make it easy for you to follow your interests and write about what you love.
Additionally, I have taught first-year composition for three quarters and I’m so grateful for it. Helping students with their writing has been both fun and rewarding and has taught me a lot about my own writing.”
— Holly Tang-Quan
M.A. English Learning Objectives:
When you graduate from Cal Poly’s Master in English program, you will:
- Understand how British and American literary traditions developed, becoming familiar with significant writers, their works, and the connections between them
- Understand the structure of language and its change over time and across social situations and groups
- Understand the movements and traditions of Composition and Rhetoric Studies
- Be able to think creatively and critically and to write effectively within all these areas of English Studies
- Know how to conduct original research and integrate criticism (secondary sources) into your own analyses
- Be prepared for lifelong learning
- Be ready and able to pursue a wide range of personal and professional goals or to undertake further graduate studies